HADEF was started in 2014 by a group of Horn of Africa community leaders and professionals to provide much needed services to Horn of Africa immigrants as they resettled in Minnesota. The founders volunteered their time and services to help the new immigrants with access to quality education and health services by providing translation and interpretation services in getting social welfare services as well as employment opportunities.
HADEF is a US based non-profit (501c3) organization whose aim is to improve the quality of life through improvement in education, healthcare, social and economic empowerment. HADEF impacts the local and global communities by giving hope to marginalized Horn of Africa groups residing within Minnesota.
Our mission is to empower the people by promoting sustainable development, social justice, and human rights. Through community-driven initiatives within Minnesota, we aim to address the root causes of poverty, inequality, and conflict, and promote peaceful coexistence among diverse populations. Our approach emphasizes collaboration, inclusivity, and accountability, and we strive to work in partnership with local organizations and communities within Minnesota to ensure our programs are responsive to their needs and priorities. We believe in the power of collective action to bring about positive change, and we are committed to creating a better future for immigrants from the Horn of Africa who call Minnesota home.
Our vision is to foster an environment that is peaceful, prosperous, and equitable, where all individuals and communities within Minnesota have the opportunity to reach their full potential. We envision a future in which sustainable development is at the forefront of decision-making, and social justice and human rights are respected and upheld. We see a region where diversity is celebrated and differences are viewed as sources of strength, and where conflict is resolved through dialogue and peaceful means. Our ultimate goal is to empower the people from the Horn of Africa to take charge of their own development, and to create a sustainable, inclusive future for generations to come as they settle in Minnesota.
1) Promote access to basic services: Ensure that marginalized communities within Minnesota have access to basic services such as education, healthcare, clean water, and sanitation.
2) Empower communities: Work with local communities within Minnesota to identify their needs and priorities, and support them in developing sustainable solutions that address their specific challenges.
3) Address poverty and inequality: Support income-generating activities, such as microfinance programs and vocational training, to help lift individuals and families out of poverty within Minnesota.
4) Promote environmental sustainability: Support initiatives within Minnesota that promote sustainable land use, conservation of natural resources, and adaptation to climate change.
Our Core Values
1) Respect for Cultural Diversity: We believe in respecting the diverse cultural backgrounds of the communities we work with and promote inclusive and equitable practices that recognize and celebrate these differences.
2) Transparency and Accountability: We commit to being transparent and accountable in our operations, processes, and decision-making, ensuring that our stakeholders have access to accurate and timely information.
3) Empowerment and Participation: We prioritize the empowerment of individuals and communities, enabling them to participate in decision-making processes and take ownership of their development.
4) Gender Equality: We advocate for gender equality and empower women and girls to participate fully in all aspects of society, ensuring that our programs are gender-responsive.